Saturday 16 October 2010

Winol, my thoughts


After viewing the most recent Winol news bulletin we were asked to give a critical analysis of the bulletin giving our views and outlining any things that we saw that could be improved on. I was extremely impressed with the bulletin, especially as it is so close to the beginning of the year. The main criticisms I have with the bulletin as a whole were the problems with some of the technical aspects of the production for example the sound, editing and camera work. The main examples of these came from the first and second bulletins where I felt that more control with the camera and improved audio would have just improved the overall look and quality and just given the pieces a more professional edge. 

The presenters did an extremely good job throughout with only minor slip ups throughout the whole bulletin, and interacted very well with each other. The field reporters were also very good and the piece to camera at the end of the second story was extremely well done in my opinion. I did feel that during the sports segment the voiceovers could have been more enthusiastic to match the exciting, in comparisons to The Queen, action the viewer was seeing. Overall the sport was well done, bar the spelling mistake and some editing slip ups. My only criticism would be that it would be nice to have some footage of the rugby team, but that is purely due to personal preference, and wanting to be in a bulletin. 

The stories chosen for the bulletin were overall a good selection in my opinion; they were relevant to the audience, informative and would have been included in any local news broadcast around the country. I did feel that it might have benefited the bulletin if the first two stories were switched in reorder, but I understand why the local story about ID cards took president over the national story about the student fee rises.
For me the highlight of the bulletin was the final story about Chris accepting the award for innovation in journalism award. This story was extremely well edited and took advantage of some advanced techniques like sounds bridges. The interviews were well filmed and informative, and the piece to camera to wrap up the story was flawless. 

Overall I thought it was very professional and would have held its own against any local news broadcast in the country with a bit of polishing and a bit more scrutiny. I am looking forward to finding out what else is happening in Winchester next week.

Henry 

No comments:

Post a Comment